Veteran Financial Aid

Just like any other student, veterans and military members are eligible for financial aid. This can come in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans. The way the different types of financial aid affect your account depends on a number of factors.

If you are using Chapter 31 or 33 benefits, and the aid is not considered tuition and fee specific, you may be eligible to receive it in the form of a stipend once your tuition and fees have been paid by the GI Bill®.

Please contact with any questions on how financial aid works with your education benefits. If you plan on using financial aid, we highly recommend that you have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) on file with Walsh as it is required for most forms of aid.



Walsh offers two grants for bachelor or master seeking military students.

Tuition Assistance Grant

This Walsh grant is available to any active duty or reserve service member who is currently using Federal Tuition Assistance. The 2023/2024 amount is $346 per credit hour, with no credit hour cap. When this grant is combined with Military Tuition Assistance, all undergraduate tuition costs are covered and graduate tuition is reduced.

Michigan Army and Air National Guard Grant

This grant offers $50 per credit hour for Michigan Army and Air National Guard members. To be eligible, you must meet the eligibility criteria that are detailed on the grant application. To submit, please follow the directions on the second page of the application.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant offers grant funding to “children of certain deceased or disabled members of the armed forces of the United States.”

Wells Fargo Veterans Emergency Grant Program

The Wells Fargo Veterans Emergency Grant Program provides emergency financial grants to veterans already enrolled in postsecondary education who might otherwise be forced to drop out of college because of unforeseen financial emergencies.


Walsh offers two scholarships for veterans, the Walter P. Rinkus Memorial Scholarship and the Robinson-Coleman Endowed Scholarship. Both are tuition and fee specific, therefore those who are 100% eligible for the Post 9/11 benefit may apply, but the certification amount will be reduced by the amount awarded from the scholarship. There are many other scholarship opportunities available. Some are listed below, but thousands more can be found at CareerOneStop and GoGrad.


Walter P. Rinkus Memorial Scholarship



Robinson-Coleman Endowed Scholarship


SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society and Scholarship

The purpose of the SALUTE National Scholarship Program is to provide financial assistance to veterans, or service members, who are pursuing undergraduate, graduate and alternative certification at accredited institutions.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

Available to spouses and children of an active duty member of the armed forces who has died in the line of duty after September 11, 2001.

National Military Family Association

Offers useful information regarding scholarships for military spouses.

National Association of Veterans Programs Administrators

Offers an annual $1000 scholarship to veteran and dependent undergraduate students. An essay, letter or recommendation and evidence of enrollment must be submitted. (Walsh is an approved NAVPA member college.) Refer to the NAVPA site for eligibility and application requirements.

Pat Tilman Military Scholars Program

Supports our nation’s active and veteran service members and their families by removing financial barriers to completing a degree or certification program of choice. The scholarships cover direct study-related expenses such as tuition and fees, as well as other needs, including housing and child care.


There are private and federal loan options. If a loan is needed, federal loans are generally preferred due to attractive interest rates and payback options. Federal loans are not credit based; you can be eligible regardless of your credit score rating. Questions pertaining directly to loans should be directed to Financial Aid.

GI Bill® is registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at